Sundaes (Grand Gorge)

August 5, 2005

Article was updated on January 26, 2021

2015- Sundae’s open for Prime Rib.

2014- Sundae’s was rebuilt after a fire in 2013 destroyed the building.

2013- ‘The Mountain Eagle’- An early morning fire destroyed Sundaes Restaurant and Tasty Freeze on state Route 23 in the hamlet of Grand Gorge. Grand Gorge Firefighters got the call at 3:30 a.m. and responded to find the restaurant fully involved in flames. Firefighters from Stamford, Roxbury, Hobart and Prattsville helped battle the blaze.

2012- Sundae’s is currently closed and ‘For Sale’

2005- Sundaes is a ice cream and diner spot found along Route 23 west of Grand Gorge. It seems like it has been there forever. I went to this place growing up and loved it even more after the ice cream place in Stamford by the old hospital closed down. And this was many years ago- maybe more than 25 years. Sundaes still to this day serves great ice cream.

Below is an image taken by Liz Page of ‘The Mountain Eagle’ of Sundaes while firefighters fought the blaze.

Source: The Mountain Eagle
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:00 am | Updated: 4:29 pm, Thu Oct 17, 2013.
Mountain Eagle Newspaper

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 by Liz Page
GRAND GORGE – Fire destroyed Sundaes Restaurant and Tasty Freeze early Monday morning as firefighters from five departments fought the blaze which had big head start.
Grand Gorge firefighters got the call at 3:30 a.m. and arrived to find flames going through the roof of the popular restaurant and ice cream parlor on state Rt. 23 in the hamlet of Grand Gorge.
An unknown passerby reported the blaze, according to Grand Gorge Fire Chief D. J. Speenburgh. “We haven’t been able to trace the origin of the call, which came up as a blocked number” he said. “All we know is it was a passerby.”
“The flames were coming through the roof when I arrived on the scene,” said Speenburgh.
He called mutual aid to Roxbury, Stamford, Prattsville and Hobart, with Jefferson standing in for Stamford at their quarters. An estimated 50 to 75 firefighters fought the fire and its cause is still under investigation.
The business, which has been a favorite destination for ice cream for generations, is owned by Walt and Nancy Carman.
Delaware County Fire Investigators were on the scene Monday morning in an effort to determine a cause.
One firefighter received minor injuries to his back and Speenburgh said there were no problems in battling the blaze, with Grand Gorge saying on the scene until about noon. Mutual aid departments went back in service at around 8 a.m..
Firefighters who were battling the blaze Monday morning recalled trips to the ice cream venue, originally known as the Tasty Freeze. The business was expanded over the years to include a restaurant.
Walt Carman was contacted to determine if there are plans to rebuild the restaurant and he said he does not know what his plan is at this time.


Sundaes was rebuilt and open for business in 2014:

Sundaes in 2012 prior to the incident and when it was ‘For Sale’:

Youtube Video of Sundae’s 2014 30-second advisement:

Leave a Reply