Prattsville NY- New York Governor Andrew Cuomo visited Prattsville on August 31. Gov. Cuomo said that he expected damage in the state from Tropical Storm Irene to reach “close to $1 billion”.
The governor arrived in Prattsville by SUV, after taking in an aerial view of the devastation of Prattsville from a Blackhawk helicopter. Cuomo was accompanied by Federal Emergency Management Agency Administrator Craig Fugate, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and local officials. (Source: Wall Street Journal)
Damage “close to $1 billion”
22 state bridges have been closed
more than 600 homes destroyed
New York farms suffered at least $45 million in damage with 140,000 acres destroyed
150 major highways damaged
Quote: “There are two realities to what Irene did to New York. One reality was that New York City and Long Island—in some ways we celebrated that the damage wasn’t as bad as it could have been. There’s an exactly opposite reality in upstate New York.”
Quote: ““The damage that we have sustained is significant, and sometimes the bottom line is the bottom line. We need help on the economics. We’ll bring the energy, we’ll bring the commitment, we’ll bring the drive, we’ll bring the know-how, but these are not communities of deep pockets”
President Obama announced today a federal disaster declaration for eight counties where individuals and households can receive federal assistance. They are Albany, Delaware, Dutchess, Essex, Greene, Schenectady, Schoharie, and Ulster counties.
Governor Cuomo’s Tour of New York’s Hurricane Damage with Secretary of Homeland Security Napolitano and FEMA Administrator Fugate (http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/08312011UpdatedDirectionsGovernorCuomosTour):
- I-87 (Thruway) to Exit 21 (NY-23/Catskill/Cairo)
- Turn left onto County Route 23-B (Main St.)
- Quick left onto the ramp to NY-23 Westbound
- Travel on NY-23 Westbound for approximately 23 miles.
- Take a left onto NY-296 Southbound
- Quick right onto County Route 12 back to Route 23 (approximately 1 mile)
- Left onto NY-23 Westbound
- Right onto N Settlement Road and travel approximately 2 miles
- Bear left onto Steinmetz Road for approximately 1 mile
- Take a left off of Steinmetz Road onto County Route 10 and travel approximately 9 miles into Prattsville